IN NANAIMO, BC, ON BEAUTIFUL VANCOUVER ISLAND, FIDDELIUM IS PART OF A WONDERFUL COMMUNITY OF FIDDLE MUSIC STUDENTS AND ENTHUSIASTS.
You may know us as a small group of highly skilled and polished young fiddlers. But every member of Fiddelium earned their place in the ensemble only after spending years in our city’s other student fiddle groups. The following groups are the foundation and the source of everything Fiddelium has accomplished.
The beginner to advanced Performance Ensemble is where fiddle students learn and develop the basic skills needed to play in a group. This ensemble serves as an introduction to multi-part harmonized tunes, through a wide variety of music created specifically for the class. The Performance Ensemble is a required first step for young fiddlers who want to become part of Fiddelium.
The pride and professionalism you see when this group performs is partly a result of their commitment to hard work. Fiddelium members rehearse together for 3 hours each week. They are also expected to follow a rigorous personal practice regime which includes recording and submitting segments of their individual practice time. The directors of the group listen to each individual’s recordings weekly and give specific feedback as to how the performance can be improved. Complete precision is expected in all aspects of playing including intonation, timing, and bowing. Admission is by audition.
Audition requirements for the 2020-21 Season:
– Two octave Eb or F major scale with its arpeggio
– Two octave harmonic AND melodic minor scales starting on Eb or E
– A three-octave G major scale OR a one-octave scale in sixths (played solid, not broken)
– One tune that is to be learned by ear (emailed to the student one week prior to the audition)
– One rhythmic harmony part to be learned from sheet music, including correct bowings and dynamics (emailed to the student one week prior to the audition).